St. Sappho Elderflower Cordial
June 24, 2023/
Ingredients For Half Gallon
Brown grocery bag full of full Elderflower umbels
8 cups white sugar
Small handful of Lemon Balm
- Harvest the elderflowers.
- Take all of the flowers off the stems (the stems taste bitter).
- Place all the flowers in a ½ gallon jar leaving 2-3 inches of space at the top.
- Zest one lemon and add to the jar along with the juice of the lemon.
- Chop up a handful of Lemon balm and add to the jar.
- Make simple syrup by adding 8 cups of boiling water to 8 cups of sugar.
- Pour over the flowers.
- Stir 2-3 times/day tasting at each stir time.
- When it hits “peak deliciousness” strain. Usually 2-3 days.
- “Preserve” the solution with your favorite vodka. Preservation requires the final total solution to be a total of 25% alcohol. (Remember that when you are drinking it!)